Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Review: The Holy City - Michael F. Blake


Imagine all your life you were surrounded by poverty.... When a life changing proposition is imposed on Marcus Williams he reluctantly makes a decision that would forever change his life. Leading into a life of blood mischief and crime, would his journey through the cold and gritty streets of Chicago end tragically? Or would he beat the odds and prevail? Experience these events at your own risk as you enter The Holy City .


REVIEW
 
The Holy City by Michael F. Blake started out as a difficult read for me.  Some of the parts were predictable because as much as I did not want Marcus to fall into the drug game …there was just too much temptation there for him not to get in on the life.   He also did not have any positive support at home.  The Holy City also touched on family and what it really means to be brothers and how one decision can change the rest of your life.  
I loved how Author Blake gave detailed descriptions of the character’s emotions and surroundings.  At times, I felt like I was actually walking the streets of Chicago with Marcus.
Although it was well written, I felt it was too busy at times and seemed to jump around a lot which made me re-read some parts just to keep the characters and actions straight. You would’ve thought Marcus was innocent and wouldn’t know the game, but boy did he know it and know it well!  He went from looking in from the outside to being the boss.  He didn’t take any mess!  
I didn’t think I was going to enjoy it as much as I did. I liked how Author Blake gave the reader a lesson on choices, jealousy, family, and friends.   I would recommend this book to others. I'm interested to see how things turn out in the sequel.  
3.5 Stars
Carmela
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS